Energy is the basic necessity for the economic development of a country. As a matter of fact, there is a close relationship between the energy used per person and his standard of living. The greater the per capita consumption of energy in a country, the higher is the standard of living of its people. The modern society is so much dependent upon the use of electrical energy that it has become a part of our life. So to have adequate knowledge in Electrical power generation and transmission it becomes necessary to include this subject.
- Conventional power plants-Layout and choice of site
- Renewable energy sources and power generation
- Grid system and Economics of power generation
- A.C Transmission-Supports, conductors, Effects, Regulation and Efficiency
- H.V.D.C Transmission
- Line Insulators and underground cables
- Circuit breakers, Fuses and Lightning arresters
Energy Audit is the key to a systematic approach for decision-making in the area of energy management. The effective use of energy to maximize profits (minimize costs) and enhance competitive positions, it is necessary to conserve energy. Hence it is necessary to study energy auditing methods and energy saving opportunities in electrical system.
On completion of the following units of syllabus contents, the students must be able to
- Draw conventional symbols for various electrical installations.
- To quote the relevant IE rules for a given electrical installation, earthing and clearance of service lines.
- Familiarize the types of wiring.
- List the points to be considered for selection wiring.
- Determine the size of wire for internal wiring.
- Explain the necessity and types of earthing.
- Estimate the quantity of materials required for earthing.
- Differentiate between neutral and earth wire.
- Estimate the quantity of materials required for domestic and industrial wiring.
- Explain the concept and types of Energy of energy audit.
- Explain the energy saving opportunities in Transformer, Induction motor, lighting and DG system.
- Explain the roll of power factor controller in energy saving system.
- Explain the roll of sensors in energy saving system.
- Explain the energy efficient technologies in electrical system.
Various control operations are to be performed on the electrical machines to suit the industrial requirements. Technician is mainly employed to look after the control panels. To make our students employable, they have to be trained in using various control components and circuits. This subject fulfils that requirement.
- Electrical control circuit elements including various types of industrial switches, relays, timers, solenoids, contactors and interlocking arrangement.
- AC motor control circuits for acceleration control, speed control, direction control, braking control and jogging using contactors.
- Different control circuits for industrial applications.
- Basics of programmable logic controller.
- PLC Programming.